Home Articles Contact Us Donate

Houseplants & Flowers—Poisonous to Your Cat

by Beverly Berwald
I received a call from a friend who had rushed her cat to the veterinarian earlier that day because her cat had gone into convulsions. She was frantic because even after her visit to the vet, her cat was still having seizures. Though no diagnosis was given by the vet, the vet did prescribe a drug for seizures. The problem with that is the drug only lessened – not eliminated – the symptoms. If the cause i.e. the offending substance or poison is not metabolized out of the liver, your cat may continue to have seizures. My first question to my friend: did you bring any plants or flowers into the house? In fact, she noticed the cat had nibbled on some lilies and didn’t pay much attention to it at the time.
Poisonous Lillies
Lilies can be deadly – they run the gamut: Easter, Tiger, Stargazer, Glory, Rubrum, Asian. In order to remove the poison from the body, the liver has to be able to breakdown those same poisons. Otherwise, the poison will continue to go into an hepatic loop, circulating back into the blood stream, then back to the liver.
Spirulina Tablets

Spirulina—Antidote to Poison

Commonsense dictates that the liver may need a little help with breaking down the poison. The blue-green algae, Spirulina is an answered prayer for any liver desperately facing the challenge of metabolizing poisons out of the body. Poisonous substances are injurious for a number of reasons, but especially because of the excess production of free radicals that damage cell membranes. Phycocyanin which is responsible for the blue-green pigment in the Spirulina is an antioxidant, swift at scavenging or harnessing free radicals. Other nutritional components in Spirulina are carotenoids, especially B-carotene and zeaxanthin, that have been validated in ongoing research for their antioxidant properties.

Upon my recommendation, my friend went directly to the nearest Whole Foods in her neighborhood to purchase Earthrise Spirulina. My first experience with the Earthrise brand occurred several years earlier when I’d eaten some bad filberts with aflatoxin (deadly bacterium and carcinogen). Headache, nausea and a sleepless night before had me waiting for a Whole Foods to open one morning. Instinctively I reached for something green to offset the bad filberts. Standing in line waiting to pay for the Spirulina, I opened the bottle, poured out six tablets and put them on my tongue; I didn’t swallow them, I just let them sit there. I hadn’t even gotten my money out of my wallet, when my headache and nausea had ceased. The reason I reacted so quickly to Spirulina without even swallowing the tablets is related to the bio-energetic imprint and that’s for another article.

To finish the story about my friend, after she gave her cat 3 tablets of Spirulina mixed into 2 teaspoons of water (to a fluffy cloud-like consistency), the seizures stopped. And her cat is healthy and seizure-free today.